Southend dating dating and soul mate dating sites
With the advent of street lighting, mains water, and sewerage during the Victorian era, maintenance of such an ancient parish with so few parishioners became increasingly uneconomical after the Industrial Revolution.
In 1910, it agreed to be incorporated by the Corporation of London which guaranteed financial support and security.
In 1194 they received a Charter from King Richard I granting the Order formal privileges.
By the end of the 14th century, these religious houses were regarded by City traders as interlopers — occupying what had previously been public open space near one of the City gates.
A number of City institutions are located in the area, such as St Bartholomew's Hospital, the Charterhouse, and Livery Halls, including those of the Butchers' and Haberdashers' Companies.
Smithfield's meat market dates from the 10th century, and is now London's only remaining wholesale market in continuous operation since medieval times.
On 29 May, the remaining twenty monks and eighteen lay brothers were forced to swear the oath of allegiance to King Henry VIII; the ten who refused were taken to Newgate Prison and left to starve.
With the monks expelled, Charterhouse was requisitioned and remained as a private dwelling until its reestablishment by Thomas Sutton in 1611 as a charitable foundation; it was the basis of the school named Charterhouse and almshouses known as Sutton's Hospital in Charterhouse on its former site. Until 1899 Charterhouse was extra-parochial; Some of the property was damaged during The Blitz, but it remains largely intact.
Many local toponyms are associated with the livestock trade: while some street names (such as "Cow Cross Street" and "Cock Lane") remain in use, many more (such as "Chick Lane", "Duck Lane", "Cow Lane", "Pheasant Court", "Goose Alley") have disappeared from the map after the major redevelopment of the area in the Victorian era.Smithfield Market, a Grade II listed-covered market building, was designed by Victorian architect Sir Horace Jones in the second half of the 19th century, and is the dominant architectural feature of the area.In the Middle Ages, it was a broad grassy area known as Smooth Field, located beyond London Wall stretching to the eastern bank of the River Fleet.The ancient parish of St Sepulchre extended north to Turnmill Street, to St Paul's Cathedral and Ludgate Hill in the south, and along the east bank of the Fleet (now the route of Farringdon Street).St Sepulchre's Tower contains the twelve "bells of Old Bailey", referred to in the nursery rhyme "Oranges and Lemons".
Search for southend dating:
A trading event for cloth and other goods as well as being a pleasure forum, the four-day festival drew crowds from all strata of English society.